Sunday, May 8, 2011

CHE SARA, SARA

Kwabena to Nokplim, at Holy Mary Catholic Secondary School, Dzelukope.

2nd June, 1995

Nokplim,

I am sure that by now you’ve forgotten all about me. Anyway, it’s my pleasure to write you this letter. I am sure you are in good health. As usual I’m not feeling very well. My doctor diagnosed the illness as (get prepared, it’s Latin) Nokplimacus Proximitus. He said that there is only one cure. I am very certain that you’d like to know. Unfortunately, if I tell you, I will die before this letter gets to you.

Let me move on to other things before I tell you and lose my life. Well, I said I would write to you this term; and since I try my best to do what I say, this is the letter. I hope fervently that it would not be the last – but that depends on you.

How is school? I’m sure you’re enjoying yourself. I would like to say that I’m also enjoying myself; but to tell the truth, it is boring at home. I wish I were back at school. Aha! Talking about school reminds me of something. I went to check my results the day after you left for school. I know that I told you several times that I would not tell you my results. But you have several ways of finding out; so I had better give up and tell you. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if you knew already. I’m also telling you because you played a part in my (should I say?) success.

Well, here it is. First, let’s take the core subjects: I had an ‘A’ in English, Maths and Science; and a ‘C’ in Life Skills; and for my electives, I had an ‘A’ in CRS and ‘B’ in French and Literature. All together, I had aggregate ‘8’. So that is all I have to show for three years in school.

As I said, it is very boring here. I spend the day reading books, listening to music or just thinking (don’t ask me about what). I am trying to teach myself how to use the computer. But it is like trying to thread a moving needle in the dark. I am also trying to write a story – perhaps more than one – but it is hopeless.

As much as I hate to end this letter, “all good things must come to an end”; and anyway, it is 1:00am (I’m not joking). I have to try to sleep. I say “try” because one of the symptoms of my illness is insomnia. I hope you will reply my letter quickly.

Looking forward to your return,

Kwabena.


Nokplim to Kwabena, at Housing Down, Adenta.

14th June, 1995.

Dear Kwabena,

It’s my greatest pleasure to write to you this lovely and wonderful letter. How is your state of health? I hope you are faring well despite your illness (Nokplimacus Proximitus). For your information, I have not forgotten about you. I always think about you; especially, about the times we sat and talked together.

As you know I am in good health but my eyes always pain me. Kwabena, please I want you to tell me the cure to your illness so that I will see whether I can help cure you.

Kwabena, congratulations you’ve done very well. I wish I were in the house to give you a hug for a job well done. Once again, congratulations.

Why do you like talking so much about death? Let me tell you one thing, I don’t want you to lose your life because of me. You have a very wonderful life to lead now that you’ve passed your examination.

I waited for your letter for such a long time that I nearly gave up; but before I knew it, it had arrived.

It’s fine here at school; but I’m not enjoying myself. I’m always learning. I know you will be enjoying yourself because you have passed your exams. Also, your friend (the girl you told me about) will come back into your life so that you can enjoy it 100%.

Kwabena, please I want you to explain the role I played in your success. You told me earlier on in the letter that you were enjoying yourself; but you wrote toward the end that you’re bored. I am curious about what you’ve been thinking about; and what makes it boring. What story are you trying to write?

Please, try to sleep and stop thinking about everything that is happening (maybe at home).

I want to end here with greetings to everyone. Take care of yourself. I miss you.

Nokplim writes.


Kwabena to Nokplim

27th June, 1995

Dear Nokplim,

Once again, the pleasure is all mine to be writing this letter to you. You know, I didn’t have to guess who the letter was from. The moment I held the letter in my hands, my illness eased a little. So at that moment I knew who it was, I’m sorry that your eyes are hurting. I wish sincerely that I could feel the pain in your place. I hope that knowing this would make the pain easier to bear.

I am overjoyed to learn that you’ve not forgotten about me; and even more so, to know that you also think about our little chats. I thought that I was the only one who enjoyed them.

Nokplim, you can do something about my illness. It would not be permanent, but as long as you keep writing, the disease will not be fatal.

After reading your reaction to my results, I wish I had gone to check them when you were at home. The thought receiving a hug from you makes me tingle all over. There is nothing better I would like from you than a hug. Actually, there is, but…

Nokplim, I don’t really like talking about death; though, I admit that I dwell more on the dark side of things. Well, what can I say? It doesn’t take a lot to make me happy. But then most of the time my joy is fleeting. You see, it takes very little for me to trust someone. So that when the trust is shattered, I am devastated. I try to remedy that situation by surrounding myself with an air of indifference and gloom (maybe that’s why you said I’m unfeeling).

I’m like a tortoise; I hide myself in my shell to avoid being hurt. Unfortunately, the few times I’ve revealed myself, I’ve been hurt (I’m not talking about the girl). In fact, you are the only person I have mentioned that incident to. And after telling you, I’ve felt much better.

You know, Boti was one of the few occasions that I emerged from my shell. I have never had such a wonderful time before. I really felt free. Nokplim, I can’t write everything I feel about this particular topic. So maybe when you come home (and you can spare some time) we would talk more about it.

Well, Nokplim, you want to know the role you played in my success. Well, it is difficult to explain because it is more psychological than physical. The truth of the matter is that you gave me a wonderful mental boost the day you gave that envelope with the heart-warming inscription: “To a very special friend.” I held that message in my heart until the last day of the exam. I would have been very disappointed if I had not lived up to expectation.

Nokplim, about your question on what I’ve been thinking of, let me just say that I’ve been thinking about everything and nothing (and certainly not about HER). As far as I’m concerned, she is dead, uh…oh, there’s that word again. Sorry, I won’t mention it again. I have more enjoyable things to think about… like you. As to why I am bored, the answer is simple; it’s because I miss you. I miss talking to you. As for the story, forget I even mentioned it. I will try to sleep; but remember, as long as you keep writing, I will be able to sleep. (It’s afternoon now) so you see, I’m improving.

Painful as it is, I have to end here. Take care.

Missing you,

Kwabena.

P.S. How special is the “special” you wrote on that envelope. P-l-e-a-s-e tell me.




Nokplim to Kwabena

7th July, 1995

Dear Kwabena,

I’m very sorry for not saying goodbye before I left for school. I am sorry. I read the note you left; but I couldn’t wait for you to return from town. That is why I couldn’t say goodbye to you. I hope you have forgiven me.

I am very pleased to have eased your illness. Please I don’t want you to keep me in suspense. Please continue this sentence: “there is nothing better I would like from you than a hug. Actually, there is, but… (But what? Please continue).

Kwabena, please I have to tell you something. Your letters seem too complicated. They always have hidden meanings, like a puzzle which I have to crack my brains before I understand. (I mean you talk in parables). I’m beginning to suspect that you are trying to hide something from me. (Please come out with it).

You said something about trust. Do you mean you trust me? If you are not talking about the girl then who do you mean hurt you? Could you please explain the following (I am quite at a loss to understand): “I have more enjoyable things to think about… like you.”

You said, when I leave for school you miss me and you also miss talking to me. But when I come home you don’t show it. Grace asked you a question about the decision you’d make if you were asked to choose between Dorcas and me. You said that it would be an easy choice to make. Please tell me what you meant by that.

I am really confused. I feel I have a lot to tell you but I don’t know what to write. The reason is that there are hidden things in your letter. Please tell me about them.

Please, if you reveal the hidden messages in your letter, I will also tell you about the “special” I wrote on my envelope and I will explain.

I would like to end here with greetings to everybody.

Nokplim writes

P.S. Please, write and tell me about all the things you are hiding from me. I hope you will reply soon. I MISS YOU.

9 comments:

  1. Well, this is the beginning of the story I talked about. As you can see, it has quite a different format from everything we've read so far. See, if despite this, you are still able to identify the various elements of fiction as the story unfolds... and this one is going to take a while. ENJOY.

    PS. all you guys saying: theme of "love", theme of "faith", etc. I hope you remember that theme has to be stated as a sentence and should be more specific that the examples above. You will lose marks if you do that in the exam. Wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story is now unfolding so i think i have to wait a while before saying anything about it.

    My impression so far is that the two are beginning to like each other, but no one has said anything solid yet. Teenage love is brewing. I'm waiting to see if what usually happens with teens who think they are in love will happen...but sometimes it is real so, let's see.


    This is going to make me itch ooh; having to wait for sometime before reading the continuation. I don't like it but what can i do? Can you please not take too long in posting them? Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This type of writing is known as an epistolary (a narrative usually written in the form of letters.)When reading the poem, I was held in suspense from the first letter of Kwabena to Nokplim's final reply. It was quite funny watching the two obviously smitten teenagers engulfed in a ridiculous love tag game. They both want to say something; however they are both waiting for the other to speak of it first. It appears to be a battle between the two; and the winner being the more evasive of the two. The narrative is in the first person as the narrators are the two protagonists.
    For now, we can identify the two main characters, who appear to be weaving a rather complicated web of 'hear says' and over polished words (in the case of Kwabena.)
    Nokplim, the prudent young girl takes up her role as a female by being expertly coy, with the smitten Kwabena trying to match her head on with his constant evasive techniques. However, it is quite obvious what they both want to hear, though neither of them is willing to let the cat out of the bag just yet.
    Thus, the internal conflict of the narrative; 'to speak or not to speak,' whether or not to disclose their feelings towards each other for fear of rejection. As the title suggests, “Whatever will be, will be;" admonishing the young lovers not to give undue thought to the outcome of their profession of love towards each other, but instead, get it out of the way and purposefully move on with their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the story has the modern day teenage crush story. In the way the two characters which could be said to be the protagonist in the story, Nokplim and Kwabena go about hinting their interest in one another, each waiting for the other to make a move first.
    They both seem to be trying to outsmart the other by asking evasive questions.Thus, making the internal conflict the feelings they each have for the other.Nokplim, appears to be acting timid whiles Kwabena is trying to play cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, am in love with the title and the way the characters are presented in the story. Kwabena and Nokplim are the protagonists and the theme could be a tale of love, the love of teenage or my secret love. This is a real story and it shows how most teenage guys (even adults) of today are unable to express their feelings to the person they truly love, the girls on the other hand would wait anxiously for the guy to make the move by telling her how he really feels

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep i truly agree with sedem that the story was a epistolary writing(a novel which is written as a series of documents,usually in a form of letters)Two protagonists have so far emerged namely Kwabena and Nokplim.For what i have read so far,it seems they both have a desire feeling for each other and neither of them is ready to let the cat out of the bag....Therefore i could say the Theme for the story is TRUE LOVE IN DISGUISE. I said so because from the beginning of the story,the two protagonists seems to be keeping each other in suspense.
    just cant wait for the concluding part of the story...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well this is an interesting piece with two major characters.both characters have fallen in love with each but find it quite difficult to express their feelings.though they both feel the same thing,they are not really sure of wat other person feels.this is the first person point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is good, though the story is still hanging. I like the title 'CHE SARA SARA'...... very interesting...... so far from what i deduce from the story, its about two teenagers who are in love......its funny how they are going about things....they are both waiting on each other to make the first move.............Kwabena is trying very hard not to go straight to the point and Nokplim is also naively playing along.............
    lets wait and see hoe the story unfolds....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its very funny how they indirectly choose to express their feelings for each other. I hope "whatever will be" will be in the best of their interest. I am also curious about what happened with the other girl, Dorcas.

    ReplyDelete