Monday, March 21, 2011

LOST AND FOUND... AND LOST AGAIN

DearDearest…Darling Akosua,

I don’t know if you’ll even read this mail, ‘cos you’ve not replied my last six letters. I don’t know what else to say. I don’t even know why I’m writing this. I —

Anidaso dropped the pen and slapped the table. Running his left hand through his hair, Anidaso crumpled the sheet of paper in front of him and threw it at the waste basket. The waste basket stood alone at the corner of the room, surrounded by about five or six more balls of paper. It had been suffering abuse since that morning, when for some strange reason that good-for-nothing Anidaso had got it into his muddled brain that he wanted to write to Akosua.

Who is Akosua? Well, that’s easy. Akosua is… was Anidaso’s girl-friend – had been his girl-friend for two years until they’d broken up a year ago. Why then? You ask. Why is it that after a whole year, Anidaso is writing to Akosua? And not just any letter too, but what looks like a love letter. Especially, since he is the one who broke up with her. I didn’t tell you that, did I? Well, that’s what happened. Anidaso was the one who broke up with Akosua. His reason? Well, we were never able to find out exactly what. But what we’ve been able to gather from what he mumbles in his sleep is — no matter, it’s so scanty and incoherent that we’d not confuse you with it.

Anyway, you were wondering why Anidaso decided to write to Akosua this morning. Actually, he has been writing to her for about a month now. Hmm… perhaps it’s not fair to say hethey have been writing to each other. How did it all start? Happy Birthday. Yes. Just one birthday wish and a floodgate was opened, and in poured desire, affection, emotion… and… well, you know what I mean. Looking at the nature of the correspondence that followed from that first birthday wish, one would have thought that the two of them were going to get back together. But, for some reason, things went bad again. Apparently, the old problem – what led to the break up in the first place – was not gone. It was only lurking beneath the surface waiting to rear it’s… you know. And, boy did it!

So, for the past week, the correspondence has been reduced a one-way flow – I’m sure you can guess the direction. At first he apologized, then he begged, next he threatened, after that he apologized again and the cycle continued – each letter more desperate than the one before. And I’m afraid this is going to be the most desperate one yet. Ah, but while I’ve been talking to you, he’s finished his letter, and he looks pleased with this one. Let’s see if we can read what it says:


Dearest Akosua,

It breaks my heart to send this to you, but you’ve left me no option. I know I was never able to explain, to your satisfaction, why I had to break up with you. To tell you the truth, my explanation, even to my ears, sounded lame. I’m not writing to complain. I’m writing to thank you. To thank you for giving me the best years of my life. My life has been sad and happy, bitter and sweet; but you, you made even the bitter parts sweet and poured happiness into the sad days.

I’m writing to ask you to forgive me. To forgive me for all the pain I caused you. You have suffered greatly because of your love for me, and these past few weeks have shown that you will continue to suffer if things stay the way they are.

So I’m writing to set you free. No longer will you have to think about me. No longer will you have to wonder if I still love you. No longer, no, no longer will you have to suffer my love-fluctuations. Because, by the time you read this, I will be out of your life, and this time… this time, I mean it.

Anidaso

Anidaso folded the letter and placed it in an addressed envelope. He made sure to put the envelope where it was clearly visible. Then he went to bring the stool from his bedroom – he had placed it there last night. Next he got up unto the stool and put the noose around his neck – the other end of the rope was tied, securely, to the crossbeam that supported his roof. But, just to make sure, he pulled at it – strong, not likely to break. He was calm. He breathed in and out twice, deeply.

Brrriiiiinng! The ringing of the phone jarred him so much that he nearly tumbled off the stool prematurely. A small bead of sweat broke out on his fore-head and rolled down slowly, gathering speed until it got soaked into the fibre of the noose. Damn! Why hadn’t he taken that off the hook! It rang again. He stood undecided – a man about to commit suicide does not take time off to answer phones. He’ll wait it out.

After what seemed like hours, the answering mechanism on the phone kicked in. What happened next could have been a scene from the Twilight Zone. Akosua’s slightly apologetic voice split the tension-laden air: Anidaso, I’m sorry for not replying your mail. I moved out of my apartment just last week and… anyway, I’ll explain when we meet again. Call me back and we’ll fix a date – the sooner, the better. I can’t tell you how much I’ve missed you.

It took some time for Anidaso to process this information. Akosua was not angry with him? Akosua wanted to see him? And, more astonishing of all, Akosua had missed him! Oh my God!

In his haste to return the call, in his haste to get to the phone, he forgot the precarious position in which he was. He forgot the stool, he forgot the rope, but, most importantly, he forgot that part of the rope that was tied around his neck.

The stool wobbled. Anidaso slipped. His hands grasped frantically at the rope, but the noose tightened around his neck – slowly, cruelly choking his new found will to live out of him. Tears welled in his eyes and rolled down. As it dawned on him that he was actually dying, an ironic smile formed on his face. His feet kicked out with less and less strength, until, with a final twitch, they stilled. A familiar smell pervaded the room – the odour of excreta.

27 comments:

  1. maybe i'm not the only one who likes to write about death...i was actually saying oh,oh along with each thing he forgot. it's so sad but i loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is a very interesting but sad story. ho could that happen to anidaso when he thought all is well

    ReplyDelete
  3. its a sad sorry but i kind of find it funny in a way. anidaso was behaving like such a drama king. for every problem there is a solution; suicide must never be anyone's last resort. if u don't value your life, think of other people who care about you before you decide to make any rash decisions.
    all in all, it is still sad because just when he found out that he was overthinking this whole akosua thing, he lost track of his surroundings and ended up finishing the task he was not meant to accomplish. i wonder what akosua will think when she finds out he's dead... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, it is funny too. he acted stupidly, i agree with you, Sedem...suicide is no solution to a problem, much more a solution to a problem which wasn't even a problem in the first place. he is a drama king! i'm sure Akosua will be devastated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Story well written in every context, i seriously do not admire Anidaso as a character, he was too quick to judging...whether or not Akosua replied his letters was not a good enough reason to take his life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Anidaso, may his soul rest in peace.I believe he never consulted Anybody for advice.Anidaso still had some love for Akosua but wasn't bold enough to tell her - to me it was either pride or shyness that resulted to his mental roller-coaster which ended in suicide.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anidaso was a prisoner of his own demented mind who should have sought for psychological treatment earlier before his unfortunate death.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No one can cheat nature in any way. Anidaso thought he could break up and re-connects love. That is not it. Love is a gift. Once given, never taken back. But I'm sorry for you, Anidaso. I'm sure Akosua will be so much depressed for you not calling her back, and just to realize that you've committed suicide. Committing suicide is not a solution to love fluctuations as he thought.For love is kind and patient.
    This is a lesson we need to learn. Ladies have the power to turn things around. Akosua nearly saved his boyfriend by sending that message, but fate worked for what has written down"this time.. this time I mean it".Had he exercised Patience, he would not have died at the wrong time.
    May Akosua finds a true love and not commit suicide.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank God it's just a story.Seriously, this story has made me know the importance of communication and understanding in a relationship.from what i see, am very sure the reason for the break up was not well communicated and understood by both sides because if it was, Anidaso would have known that Akosua's love fo him was unconditional and she didn't care going through pain for what they share.I also see this as a lesson for the guys.....u have to fight for what u want.Do not sit down and assume things.If Anidaso had travelled to see Ama he would have Known the reason for the delay in reply............anyway it's a heart touching story

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really an interesting story. I had a feeling that was going to happen after the answering machine picked up.It has really taught me a lesson, not to jump to conclusions without much prove.Even though it is a story, it happens sometimes in real life situations. From what i read, their misunderstandings might have been caused by Anidaso. He is quick in action and not patient in handling situations carefully. Akosua is calm and patient because when Anidaso didn't answer the phone, she left a message. Somebody would have thought Anidaso intentionally didn't pick up. I hope Akosua is able to find somebody else and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Indeed this is a sad story.Why,is Akosua the only woman on earth?He was the same person who opted for a break up and so i don't know the reason why he regretted his actions to the extent of committing suicide.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anidaso acted in an immature way. Suicide should never have crossed his mind. Now he has lost everything, his life and Akosua.This is a lesson to everyone. I'm glad I read the story though it didn't end the way I expected it......

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh,what a story!This is a tragedy.How could Anidaso forget the meaning of his name;Hope.He shouldn't have given up soon.Well,this is a didactic story.Never jump into concluding in life.This is a wonderful piece.I love this...........

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so sad!Anidaso should have taken his time... just wondering how Akosua will take this but all the same, its a good piece.Better luck to Anidaso next time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anidaso shouldn't have jumped into conclusion so hastily.However, i think his love for Akosua was soo strong that his was willing to eliminate himself from the surface of the earth just so that he wouldn't bother her again.Its a gud piece anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  16. it is a very interesting story but the question is why would one commit suicide because of a problem at hand? I think the story tries to advice us on how we fall in love with people because when we are hurtor disappointed by those people, the effect is very intense and could even lead to suicide as in the case of Anidaso. In all it tells me that love is very powerful because you see how Anidaso was suffering emotionally after breaking up with Akosua.look at the series of letters he had to write and yet he was not getting any response. it is high time we advised ourselves. nice story out there

    ReplyDelete
  17. it is an interesting story but rather it ends on a sad note.the story actually reflects on the saying:"the way you think determines your behaviour". if anidaso had been more patient he wouldn't have died thus patient is a virtue.

    ReplyDelete
  18. aww i didnt think it was going to end like dis but yea he was goin to kill himself anyways so..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Firstly, concerning the title of this short story,i think it couldn't be anymore appropriate, although it makes the plot of the story too obvious.I tried thinking of a more suitable one but to no avail.
    Now to the story,why is everyone blaming Anidaso.Akosua knowing very well she still had feelings for Anidaso should have communicated regularly with Anidaso.By keeping Anidaso in the dark, what did she expect the poor soul to do knowing very well he was at fault and couldn't predict how Akosua would receive him.Her excuse about changing her residential address is not a good reason to have lost contact with Anidaso even if she couldn't reply the letters.
    She could have used other means of communication such as text messaging, telephoning,e-mailing or even social network sites to keep contact with Anidaso.
    I would like to end on the note that; Communication is a vital tool which brings people together notwithstanding their distance apart.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is a very nice story, but I didn't like the tragic end....this is for those in relationships,LACK OF COMMUNICATION CAN KILL.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sir please what in Heaven’s name is wrong with a little comedy without tragedy? Anytime I read your stories I start to think ‘why is life so unfair?’(with a pout). Anidaso did not have to die. ( a sigh) Ok ok ok, being emotional does not change the story…Being a sucker for romance and happy-ever-after stories I usually would not go near a novel if I catch but a whiff of tragedy in it but I have to say your tragi-comedies are great! Perhaps one day you would surprise us with a great happy-ever-after story.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like this story because eventually it squashes my expectations . I think that boy , Anidaso is quite stupid . To think of committing suicide over something that he caused and nobody had even chided him for it, not even Akosua , the victim . He is a very big fool , who might have forgotten his thinking cap in her Mums' womb . "Oh !" i said , as he tripped from the stool ,and maybe they should have gotten back together , for Akosua's sake . But , I don't think he even deserves her . The fool ! he even forgot he was about to commit suicide ,ah!
    It's the suspense and how the narrator tells the story that really endears me .

    ReplyDelete
  23. Not 'quite stupid', Robert, 'extremely stupid!' You're right, perhaps Akosua didn't deserve him. i wouldn't want someone who is suicidal, so that if we have one quarrel, he will kill himself and break my heart in the process? no way!
    Eyram, I think in this case life was fair. He wanted to die right? So he did. no one can cheat death...he asked for it and he got it (did he think he could change his mind just like that? next time he won't play with death...that's fair.
    and i think happy-ever-afters are boring and way too predictable or? The suspense packed at the latter part of the story is exciting! Just look at the effect the story had on you...as if it really happened...that makes it a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The story seems tragedy but to a greater extend this type of tragedy is not sympathetic.I wise Anidaso should have resulrect for somebody to tell him the enormity of what he has committed.He acted like someone who has not witness love because he could not deal away with the impediments of love and perpetrated by intercepting in suicide.I praise this kind of death for his mysterious/silly performance but our ladies should also be dearly with us.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Eyram... well, life is like that... good and bad. Maybe, I'll do a happy ending for you sometime.

    And why are all of you being so hard on poor Anidaso.

    By the way, I'm going to post a new story soon. But it's going to be in a series, because it's a bit longer than what's been up so far. It's called CHE SARA, SARA.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This boy is really funny.wat was he thinking.I don't think suicide should have been his last resort.Mistakes do happen and it could have been a mistake from the post office or something else.I must say I am disappointed in him.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think he thought life was suppose to be all sunny, forgetting that in life we experience things to make us stronger. He clearly, did not think through about the consequences of committing suicide.I think this story shows why we should never jump into conclusions.

    ReplyDelete